In the winter season our vehicles are the most susceptible to harsh conditions.
Washing your car in the winter is important in order to remove buildup of mud, ice, and snow. It is recommended by experts to do this at least once a week. Keep in mind that winter detailing can be tricky especially when you’re dealing with freezing temperatures and road salt. It is important in these winter months to make vehicle protection a priority over aesthetics.
- A hand wash is the best wash. Be sure to remove road salt as soon as possible. Salt is notorious for prematurely degrading and damaging waxes and sealants. Warm water and a wash cloth are the best solution for removing caked on road salt.
- If you have salt stains on your carpets, floor mats or car seats use a solution of half water and half refined vinegar to remove them.
- It is best not to ignore potential rust spots. Keep in mind touch-up paint doesn’t adhere well to rust. This winter, keep some matching touch up paint on hand so you can touch up any nicks or scratches before rust has a chance to form. These nicks are often found outside the door edges. (If this is something you don’t feel comfortable doing yourself we recommend booking an appointment on carstarexpress.ca and our experts will be happy to help.)
- To provide added protection during the winter months we suggest applying a spray wax once the surface has fully dried.
- Be cautious when using an ice scraper on your vehicle, particularly when removing debris from your headlight or taillight, scratched can ultimately lead to irreversible damage and headlight replacement.
At home detailing isn’t for everyone, so if you’d rather stay warm by the fireplace during these cold winter months don’t hesitate to bring your vehicle into any CARSTAR Express location and we can take care of it for you!